Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 4, 2011

My first week as a mom

We were in the hospital for 2 full days following Andrew's birth. We had such great nurses who were so helpful and reassuring. It was so weird being a room with our son. Bill and I would just look at each other and say, "Ok, now what do we do?!?"

During our time in the hospital, I think we both only got a total of about 6 hours of sleep. Needless to say, by the time we were discharged, I was extremely emotional and was crying about everything. I was having a tough time with breastfeeding. It was difficult to get Andrew to latch on, but once he did, he was eating really good. The lactation consultant reassured me that I was doing great, but I ended up crying and thinking that I was going to be a failure once we got home. I think more than anything I was just scared to go home where there no experts and no nurses that could be there if I needed something. I was also in a lot of pain from the episiotomy, which made getting around difficult.

My parents and Bill's mom came to visit while we were in the hospital. It was so nice to have the grandparents there with us.




We were discharged at 2:30pm on Saturday, January 29th. By the time we got in the car, I started crying again because I was actually relieved to be going home, where I could sleep in my own bed and be around my own things.





We got Andrew home and the dogs were so excited and confused. I think they thought we had brought them a new toy!

Adjusting to being home has been really good. Andrew took to breastfeeding like a champ and has been eating really good. He's weighing in at 8lbs 8oz and is such a good baby. He only cries when he's hungry or when he has a dirty diaper. He is on a nocturnal schedule though, which has made sleeping difficult for Bill and I. We've been doing things in shifts so that we can both get a little sleep. I'll do the feeding and stay up for a few hours so Bill can sleep, and Bill will change the dirty diapers and stay up with him while I sleep. It's been working out pretty good and it's amazing how alert I can feel after only 3-4 hours of sleep!

Our families have been awesome, making meals for us and taking good care of us. Bill's parents bought us pizza and salad our second night home, my parents made us a feast of roasted chicken and mashed potatoes another night, and my Aunt Regina made us mostaciolli and salad the next day. It's been so nice to not have to worry about making dinner!

Bill is off work this entire first week as well as half the week next week. I've been limited as to what I can do around the house and I can't drive for another week, so Bill has really stepped up to take care of the house chores while I get my rest and get my strength back. My pain from the episiotomy was really bad the first few days, but I've started feeling a lot better between yesterday and today.

My worries: That I'm putting his diaper on too tight because he has red marks by his legs, little red mosquito like bumps on his arms (which the pediatrician told us is normal) and trying to be careful around his circumcision and umbilical cord stump.

Joys: I've decided my favorite part of the day is when I'm feeding him and he looks at my face and wraps his little hand around my fingers. The feeling of love I have for him is overwhelming.




3 comments:

  1. I love your posts. It's funny to see the similarities between your story and mine. It's great that you've put all of this into words. I think I'll be a regular follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mandy, I almost want to cry reading this. I don't know if you know but pete and I have 4 little ones, and I remember with my first feeling so much of what you're feeling. It is the best thing in the world yet also very overwhelming. Pete and I have taken some classes called " growing kids gods way" which helped us drastically and I would love to share some of the wisdom they taught with you. It's really a lifesaver! If u would ever like to get toogether please call me, I can even give u some tips over the phone. Let me know! Much love and prayer is sent your way:)

    Camille Adair

    ReplyDelete