Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Springing Forward

Whoever created the concept of "Springing forward" for Daylight Savings Time was obviously not a new mother! Talk about the worst time possible to lose an hour of sleep!!!

In all actuality though, sleep has been easier to come by this past week. Andrew's nocturnal sense seems to have righted itself. He is more awake and alert during the day and has been using night time for what it was intended for... sleep! It's too early to put him on a "schedule", but I've been working on a nightly routine that will most likely become his "schedule" in the future. He gets a bath every other night, gets fed, and then it's swaddle time! He is taking to the swaddle so great now... he just lays there while I pin his arms to his sides and tightly wrap him up like a little burrito. Once I put him in his bassinet, he usually fusses for a little while. Sometimes I will pick him up and rock him to sleep and other times he'll put himself to sleep on his own. The important part is that he is sleeping... at a decent time, and not on me! This means I have time to take care of some of the things that have piled up around the house before I turn myself in for the night. The best part is that within the last week, Drew will sleep anywhere from 4-6 hour stretches before he wakes up to be fed. I feed him, burp him, and change his diaper before swaddling him again, and he'll usually go down for another 2-3 hours. Mama has been getting some decent sleep herself lately... and just in time to go back to work! :)

Speaking of work, I was so happy to have some visitors from work this week! Drew got to meet 3 of my friends that work on the special ed team with me at my school. Kim, Reta and Courtney stopped by to give me the scoop on what's been going on for the past 6 weeks and of course to get in some cuddle time with baby. It was so nice to see them, and it put me in the mindset of getting myself ready to be back at school again.

Kim, Reta, and Courtney visiting baby Drew and I
Courtney's first time holding a baby! 

In other news, we had to make a trip to the hospital this week. During my 3rd trimester ultrasound, they noticed that there was fluid on one of Andrew's kidneys. Drew's pediatrician, Dr. Fisher, suggested that we check it out further when Andrew was about a month old. Most of the time this condition presents in utero but clears itself up after birth. We went to Beaumont Hospital and little Drew had an ultrasound of his kidneys. He was so good, just laying on the table looking at the lights. We got the results back yesterday when Dr. Fisher called us.

Andrew has what is called grade 2 hydronephrosis, which basically means there is a backup of fluid on both of his kidneys. Dr. Fisher assured us that there is a good prognosis for this condition. After looking at the ultrasound, he said that all of Drew's organs are in the right place and fully functioning, but there seems to be an issue with the wiring somewhere, since fluid (or urine) is backing up into his kidneys.

So, back to Beaumont we will go in a couple of weeks. Drew will have to have a catheter and a dye will be injected so they can see exactly where the issue is. We'll then see a pediatric urologist to discuss next steps. Dr. Fisher prescribed an antibiotic which I am giving Drew every night so that he doesn't develop a urinary tract infection.

Of course, I cried. As a parent, you just want your children to be healthy. It was really hard hearing that something might be wrong. I'm trusting the doctor though, and having faith that all of this will clear up and my baby won't have to be in any pain.

On the bright side though, after the appointment Bill and I decided to try to go out for breakfast with baby in tow. It was our first time out together with the baby taking him to a public place. I was so nervous that we were going to be "those people" in the restaurant. You know... the ones with the screaming kid. Drew did so well (of course!) and slept the entire time. Mommy and Daddy were sitting on the edge of our seats though... waiting for the crying to come and anticipating asking for carryout boxes for our breakfast!

Sleeping at the restaurant while Mommy and Daddy eat breakfast
Bill and I also got to go out for the first time by ourselves this week. We went to a wedding for Bill's cousin. My mom and dad came over to babysit. My mom was downright giddy to be spending so much time with her grandson. I told her to have her cell phone on standby because I would probably be calling every half hour to check in on the little guy.

It was so weird being out without the baby. I felt like a part of me was missing! Bill and I enjoyed ourselves though, and I only called my mom twice!
At the wedding- our first time away from the babes
This next week brings with it a new adjustment- going back to work. I am looking forward to adult interaction and I know my students have missed me. I'm comforted by the fact that Drew's grandparents will be watching him. Bill's parents and my parents are each picking up a couple days during the week. It gives me such peace of mind knowing that he won't be at a daycare and that his grandparents will have lots of time to bond with him. I just keep focusing on the fact that in 3 short months I will have all summer to spend every day with my little man. I can't wait! :)

Focusing intently on the light in the kitchen
Looking at mommy while she takes the picture
Jamming to the music in my crib
Daddy's little buddy
6 weeks old today (3-10-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment